Presented by Dr. David Clark
BSc., DDS, MSc (Oral Pathology), FAAOP, FRCDC
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
6:00 – 6:30 pm – Welcome and Registration
6:30 pm – Psychiatric Illness & Dentistry: Challenges for Oral Health presented by Dr. David Clark
Location is TBD
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
1. Demonstrate how mental health and oral health are closely intertwined and how one can directly impact the other.
2. Comprehend how medications used to treat various forms of mental illness can interact with other drugs used in dentistry.
3. Understand how oral health problems can arise as manifestations of mental illness as well as being side effects of numerous psychiatric medications.
4. Understand the disabilities and stigma associated with mental illness as well as enhancing one’s knowledge of the various psychiatric disorders so as to be better prepared to provide dental treatment on a highly individualized basis.
Psychiatric diagnoses highlighted in this presentation will include:
– mood disorders (e.g., bipolar disorder)
– eating disorders
– anxiety disorders/panic disorder
Join us for a relaxed evening of continued learning on a prevalent and timely topic.